We are glad you’re here. If you’ve gotten here, you are probably a concerned parent, neighbor, or future student.
Why New In ’22?
Did you know that:
- Towson High School was built in 1949, making it one of the oldest schools in the county.
- It was last renovated in 1996, and the renovation was not adequately funded.
- It is currently at 120% capacity, and projected to be at 137% capacity within the next five years.
- THS was ranked the third-worst high school physical structure by Baltimore County’s own 2015 assessment.
- Of the 5 high schools at the bottom of the list, 4 are slated for renovations. THS is not one of them.
And most importantly, and the primary reason for our group:
To continue the process of securing Planning and Design money so BCPS and the County are able to plan for much needed improvements.
- UPDATE: 12/12/17: We are excited to share an update, and encouraged that all of our hard work is paying off! It is important to continue our advocacy and make sure all voices are heard so that these Planning Funds are approved by the Baltimore County Council in June 2018. Towson High School’s documented severe overcrowding and health and safety issues need to be addressed! Please read more about YOUR next opportunity testify. Happy Holidays!
- UPDATE: 9/19/17: Until recently, there were no plans for BCPS to address the known inadequacies of Towson High School. While the BOE and County Executive have proposed planning money in the FY19 budgets, there is still much advocacy, work and collaboration ahead!
Here you will find documents/links relevant to BCPS and the Board of Education. Planning, projection, and funding documents that are good to review are here.
- Students Count 2016 – Enrollment and projections report from BCPS.
- Why THS Is Next – One page handout on why THS should be next on the county’s list.
- BCPS Property Reports (click the Property tab) – Here are several reports exemplifying the many challenges facing BCPS
- BCPS Construction Reports (Click the Construction tab) – Compare THS to other BCPS schools
- Check out THS’s assessment in the 2014 BCPS Systemwide Physical Facilities Assesssment (pg 157) note: this pdf file is large (162mb) and make take awhile to download from bcps website
- Here’s just THS’s page 157 (pdf)
- The Planning Process – How and when the public can be involved in the planning process.